Are Hydrangeas Poisonous To Dogs

Have you been worried about your pet’s safety around your beautiful hydrangeas? You’re not alone! Many pet owners wonder if their furry friends can be affected by these ornamental plants.

In this article, we’ll discuss whether or not hydrangeas are toxic to dogs.


Are Hydrangeas Poisonous To Dogs?

Hydrangeas are a popular flowering shrub often found in gardens, yards and other areas. Commonly grown for their beautiful blooms, these plants have many different species and varieties – and it’s important to know if any of them could be toxic to your pet. For example, some species are poisonous to dogs if ingested. In this article we’ll discuss the potential dangers of hydrangeas for dogs, and what you can do to keep your pet safe from harm. We’ll cover topics such as:

  • Which species are safe for pets?
  • What are the symptoms of poisoning in dogs?
  • What should you do in the event of accidental ingestion?

Overview of Hydrangeas

Hydrangeas (Hydrangea spp.) are popular flowering shrubs that offer plenty of eye-catching beauty to gardens, parks, and other outdoor spaces. It’s important to remember that all plants have the potential for toxicity. Hydrangeas contain substances called cyanogenic glycosides in their stems and leaves, which can cause mild to moderate gastrointestinal symptoms, such as nausea or vomiting, in dogs if ingested. However, it is not fatal if taken in small amounts.

The species of hydrangeas differ slightly in terms of toxicity and some may be more hazardous than others. Most sources indicate that the most common species of hydrangea grown by gardeners (Hydrangea macrophylla) has minor to moderate levels of toxicity compared with other varieties of hydrangeas. The typical signs associated with a toxic reaction include skin irritations, stomach upsets (vomiting and/or diarrhea), and changes in appetite or thirst. Serious cases may require medical attention and hospitalization.

When planting your garden or taking a walk outdoors where there are hydrangeas present, always keep an eye on your dog to make sure they do not ingest any of the plant’s foliage or flowers- pet owners can opt for artificial plants instead for peace of mind!

Potential Toxicity of Hydrangeas

Hydrangeas (Hydrangea spp.) are commonly found in garden and backyard landscapes, cultivated for their beautiful blooms. While these blooms add charm and beauty, it is important to consider their potential toxicity to pets, including dogs. Hydrangeas contain cyanogenic glycosides, which when ingested can be toxic for both humans and animals. Symptoms of exposure can range from mild to severe or potentially fatal depending on the amount consumed.

It is important to consider that macerating the hydrangea or ingesting wilted flowers can considerably increase the toxicity. If your dog has eaten some hydrangeas it is best to contact an animal poison control center or your veterinarian as soon as possible. Treatment options will largely depend on the amount consumed and how quickly it is addressed after ingestion. If treated quickly and with proper medical care outcomes are usually very good!

Symptoms of Hydrangea Poisoning in Dogs

Ingestion of hydrangea can cause dogs to experience a range of symptoms, depending on the severity of their exposure. These symptoms include vomiting, drooling, abdominal pain, weakness or depression, and diarrhea. In severe cases, hydrangea ingestion can cause kidney failure or even death.

It is important to note that it does not take a large amount of food for a dog to develop signs of poisoning. Dogs may also be more sensitive to certain plants than others, based on their individual makeup and weight. If you believe that your dog has eaten part of a hydrangea plant, it is important to seek veterinary care immediately as the true toxicity will be based on the amount ingested and the age and size of your pet. Depending on their symptoms and history of exposure, treatment options may include:

  • Activated charcoal – this helps prevent further absorption of toxins
  • Stomach protectants – these are drugs given intravenously or orally in order to protect the lining of the stomach
  • IV fluids – these are often administered in order to replace any electrolyte imbalance caused by vomiting or diarrhea
  • Anti-vomiting drugs – this helps reduce nausea and vomiting associated with poisoning
  • Other supportive treatment – depending on the severity of your pet’s condition, further diagnostics or supportive treatments may be necessary

Treatment for Hydrangea Poisoning in Dogs

If your pet has ingested part of a Hydrangea plant, it is important to seek veterinary care immediately. When something potentially poisonous is ingested, prompt veterinary treatment can often make the difference between life and death.

Your veterinarian will take a thorough medical history from you and may ask you detailed questions about the amount and type of plant that has been ingested. They will then do a physical examination of your pet, checking for signs of irritation or pain in the mouth or gastrointestinal tract. Depending on the size of your pet, they may also recommend an x-ray or ultrasound to look for any signs of blockage due to ingestion.

Treatment plan for hydrangea poisoning in dogs may include:

  • Establishing intravenous fluids to help flush out toxins.
  • Monitoring vital signs closely.
  • Administering activated charcoal if needed.
  • Surgery may be necessary if there are large pieces lodged in the gastrointestinal tract that cannot be passed naturally.
  • Prescribing medications to treat any other symptoms caused by ingestion such as vomiting and diarrhea.
  • In extreme cases, hospitalization is recommended as constant monitoring would be required due to possible dehydration or shock associated with hydration poisoning in dogs.

Prevention of Hydrangea Poisoning in Dogs

Hydrangeas, while beautiful, pose potential danger to pets if ingested. Dogs are particularly susceptible to the effects of hydrangea toxicity due to their indiscriminate eating habits. It’s important that pet owners take steps to ensure their pup’s safety by preventing them from coming into contact with and ingesting the potentially toxic flowers.

The most effective way to prevent hydrangea poisoning in dogs is to keep them away from the plants at all times. If you have a garden that contains some type of hydrangea shrubbery, use fencing or barriers that your dog cannot penetrate or jump over. There are also sprays available on the market designed to keep dogs away from certain plants, which can be applied around your hydrangeas as an additional layer of protection. Additionally, it is important to monitor your dog’s behavior when outside in order ensure he does not have access to or eat any part of a hydrangea plant.

If your pup has eaten some of a hydrangea plant, bring him immediately for emergency veterinary care so he can be assessed for symptoms and appropriate treatment administered if necessary.

Alternatives to Hydrangeas for Dogs

Hydrangeas are not typically poisonous to dogs, however some species of hydrangea contain cyanogenic glycosides which can cause vomiting and digestive upset if consumed, so it is best to refrain from planting them in areas where your pup has access. Other pet-safe alternatives for use in garden beds include diascia, dianthus, coreopsis, and violas.

Although most types of lawn grasses are considered safe for dogs to play on and eat, certain grass types should be avoided due to the potential risk of poisoning. If planting a new lawn or patching existing lawns, opt for non-toxic choices such as Kentucky bluegrass or fescue. These grass types are unlikely to cause any side effects if eaten by pets.

Gardeners must also be aware of the presence of toxic herbicides or pesticides that could irritate their pets’ skin or cause chemical poisoning if ingested. Avoid products with chemical active ingredients such as 2,4-D and Imidacloprid whenever possible and instead use natural fertilizer or compost made from food waste and leaves when possible.


After thoroughly researching and assessing the evidence, it can be concluded that hydrangeas are not poisonous to dogs. The plant contains toxins, but these toxins have not been found to be harmful in any way when ingested by a dog. While it is best to keep your dog away from any plants, hydrangeas should not be a concern in particular when it comes to potential toxicity.

Knowing the facts, you can now rest assured that your furry friend is safe around hydrangeas!

Leave a Comment